Sunday, May 30, 2010

Chalice Lace Tanktop




In celebration of my first post; free tanktops for all!
I had my eye on Paton's silk bamboo for ages waiting to find a pattern to justify my spending money on more yarn. But I got impatient and made my own!
The fun thing about this pattern is that it's pretty interchangeable. I used the lace pattern from the 'Baby Chalice Blanket' http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-chalice-blanket (they're more technologically advanced than I am and have a chart you can follow) but you can use your favorite lace and change needle or yarn size to fit gauge. (Please don't mind the 'deer in the headlight' shot we got here...)
Unfortunately I only made this pattern for me (34 bust), but the Chalice Lace is devisable by 10, so I think you can go up or down a size pretty easily. It's worked from the bottom up and fitted by changing needle sizes to make the work tighter or looser.
On with the show!

Yarn: 3 balls of Paton's Silk Bamboo in Sapphire at 65g/2.2oz each
Needles: US 7 circulars and US 9 circulars
Gauge: 21 sts in lace = 6 inches
Abbreviations: K2tog - knit two together
yo - yarn over
sl -slip
psso - pass slip stitch over
stbl - slip one st knitwise, put st back on left needle, knit two sts together through back loop

CO 150 sts with US 9 needles, place marker, join in round.
Row 1: (k1, yo, k1, stbl, k3, k2tog, k1, yo) Repeat to end.
Row 2: This and every even row, K to end.
Row 3: (k2, yo, k1, stbl, k1, k2tog, k1, yo, k1) Repeat to end.
Row 5: (k3, yo, k1, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k1, yo, k2) Repeat to end.
Row 7: (k1, k2tog, k1, yo, k3, yo, k1, stbl) Repeat to end. Place marker 1 st to the right.
Row 9: (sl1, k2tog, psso, k2, yo, k3, yo, k2) Repeat to end. Place marker 1 st to the left after first psso.
Row 11: (k2, k2tog, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, stbl, k1) Repeat to end.
Row 13: (k1, k2tog, k1, yo, k3, yo, k1, stbl) Repeat to end. Place marker 1 st to the right.
Row 15: (sl1, k2tog, psso, k1, yo, k5, yo, k1) Repeat to end. Place marker 1 st to the left after first psso
Row 17: (k2, yo, k1, stbl, k1, k2tog, k1, yo, k1) Repeat to end.
Row 19: (k2, yo, k2, sl1, k2tog, psso, k2, yo, k1) Repeat to end.
Row 20: Knit
Repeat last 20 rows until work measures 5 inches from cast on edge, change to US 7 needles and continue lace pattern until work measures 13 inches. Change back to US 9 needles and continue lace pattern until work measures 18 inches.
Ribbing:
Row 1: Using US 7 needles (k2, p2)
Row 2: (k2, p2) 11 times, sl1, k2tog, psso, k2tog, pass next st over last, (p2, k2) 15 times, p2, sl1, k2tog, psso, k2tog, pass next st over last.
Continue in ribbing for 1 inch.
Bind off using 'Jeny's surprisingly stretchy bind off' found here: http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall09/FEATjssbo.php

Block your Tank!

I put straps on mine using 4 crochet chains I made with a size F hook and the same yarn. Each chain was 15 inches, but make your own so they fit. Feel free to use lace, string, braided yarns, etc.
If you'd like to do a tube top:
Skip Row 2 of ribbing and continue k2, p2 for 3 inches.
Using a 1 inch wide elastic, wrap once around your chest right under your arms. Pull so it's snug but not constricting, add another inch to that length and cut. Sew ends together leaving a .5 inch allowance.
After bind off and blocking, turn work inside out and fold ribbing over elastic and pin. Sew the ribbing down without sewing the elastic.

Ta-dah! This is my first pattern from my head that I've put to paper so if you see anything that doesn't make sense or have a question, please let me know!

Please don't use this pattern to make money! It's a free for all pattern and I want to keep it this way!

21 comments:

  1. Lovely! What a fantastic first effort - keep on designing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks beautiful.i love the colour and pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty! how many balls of yarn did you use for your tank? i've eyed the yarn, too, but didn't know what to make with it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sorry Katie! Forgot to add that in there, I used 3 balls of yarn at 65g/2.2oz each and still had quite a bit left over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you place a marker one to the right because you are moving the startin place? How does that work please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you have to move the marker one to the right for the pattern to stay consistant. So yes, you change the starting place for the one row, then change it back afterwards. Basically the stitch you make with the stbl needs to be the loop you slip and pass over 2 rows later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try this. I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there a knit row 20, or do I go straight from 19 to 1?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes there is a row 20, it's a knit row. Sorry! I'll stick that in there right away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ann Elry TentiffJuly 10, 2010 at 9:32 AM

    divisible (from divide)
    consistent

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an absolutely gorgeous top!
    Great job hun.

    Many Blessings,
    ¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸..•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`-: † :- Anita
    http://aseknc.blogspot.com/
    http://asesgwamh.blogspot.com/
    aseknc(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is super cute! I was looking for some summer knits to make and a lot of the ones I found were kind of frumpy and not my style, but I totally dig this one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful first effort. You are very talented. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been looking for a simple tank pattern in lace. Perfect! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh, I'm sqeaking with delight! It's gorgeous! It's really hard to find a pattern that's not too bulky, but the lace pattern you've used solves that mess. Thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Help! The 'place stitch marker' bits... Is that "move current marker" or "place a new marker" or.. I'm really confused. Please advise? I'm having trouble understanding why the marker is moving around and I'd probably manage that part better if I just knew the purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's gorgeous and I can't wait to try it! I luv how the lace pattern is so simple yet so beautiful at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, may I ask if your gauge is referring to a flat piece or one that's already joined in round?

    21sts by how many rows? and 6 inches length-wise, breadth-wise or diagonally?

    I'm so sorry to trouble you! I'm really new to all this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Using an agency is now simpler than it has ever been before. Laptop computer have got to contact the agency basically find online and evaluate the men whom are around and whorrrre offering a sizegenetics. You would possibly find certain men whom you are focused on. Be sure you pay a visit to the prices towards the gay sizegenetics including the services them to will perform. You are bound to find someone who is just your type every time you go online and investigate what is available in an agency that provides male sizegenetics.
    http://buysizegeneticsonline.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete